20100709

My Process has started!

So on Tuesday I started my papers to join the United States Navy. Yes me a Sailor! I'm so excited to call myself a future Sailor!

I've wanted this since I was a kid. At first I wanted to join the Air Force, and then growing up I looked into every other branch, what can I say the internet is amazing!

(The Star Spangled Banner was playing just a minute ago and I realized one of these days that last line will be meant for me, "Home of the brave." I will be one of the brave)

Well back to what I was saying. When I looked into the Navy I was blown away, this was me. I was going to be a sailor. So you know I posted a couple of statuses on facebook saying meeting with the navy recruiters, and some of my family blew up. What about the Air Force they'd say. And one of my uncles, although previously in the Air Force went all Anti military on me. That's so Ironic! lol. But that's not important anymore. I've made my decision.

Why am I joining the Navy you may ask? Well there's many reasons.
1. I need it, I need to feel like I'm wanted, like I'm needed and there's nothing like being apart of something bigger then you are to feel that. I also need the discipline the Navy gives to it's Sailors both land based and sea based.

2. It's a great opportunity to get ahead in life. And with the benefits! HOLY CRAP, I mean if you stick with it, you'll be set for life!

3. The traveling, can I say please board me on a ship now and take me away! Take me away! On deployment I can visit from 4-6 DIFFERENT COUNTRIES! Yes I said it 4-6 DIFFERENT COUNTRIES in 6 months! Yes this is me being super excited!

4. I am a woman, and alot of times, or at least with me, men pull the "I am man, I am stronger." and I'd just love to say back "I can do anything you can better!" but I'm no longer 5 years old! lol.

5. This is my opportunity to make my country proud of me, to make my family proud, to make my father proud (long story behind that one), and most importantly to make MYSELF proud of me.

If you want any more information about any of these reasons please let me know. Maybe I'll put the reason to making my father proud up. But let me tell you more of the process first so that if you are thinking about joining the Navy or any other branch, you know what to expect. However I must say that every branch is different and that makes every person's experience different as well.

I started my process in May. I had just finished with my first year of college and decided that College wasn't for me. I tried, but I didn't succeed. My mom had asked me if I had ever thought about the military and I told her the truth. I always had it on my mind I just never did anything about it. I had looked into the Army, Army National Guard, the Marines(I'm one crazy girl), and a tad bit of the Air Force. So when we got home I looked into the Navy and like I said earlier, I knew this was for me.

I called my recruiter and that's when I started. I got all the information, looked at the jobs online, they all look so good so I have no idea what I'll do. And I left it at that, and then I had to do more looking into the Air Force. And my grandfather came into town the end of June/beginning of July, and told me that I had to do it for me. So I called my Navy Recruiter and told him that I had made my decision. I was joining the Navy!

I started my paperwork on Tuesday, July 6th. Let me tell you if you have any tattoos, you'll have to sign a waiver of each one saying where they are, how big they are, what they are of, the colors, and what they mean to you. Also in the medical questionnaire, the small things don't matter. And the things that happened oh about 10-15 years ago, doesn't really matter. There's alot of Initialing to do and lots of signing, but the big signature doesn't happen until after you decide on your job, and you swear to protect your country. That's all I can tell you for now. I take my ASVAB on Tuesday, hopefully so I'll let you know about everything that happens when it happens

1 comment:

  1. Wow, ASVAB on Tuesday, mine's on Monday! Can't wait to hear how everything unfolds for you. Good luck! :D

    ReplyDelete